Yesterday I had a very special delivery to work.
Not long ago I turned 26 and my parents asked what I wanted. For a long time I've been in search of 'the perfect black bag' and a little while before my birthday I discovered it - at the S/S '12 Mulberry preview evening.
When I mentioned it to them I didn't for a second think they'd help fund it. But they did. And it arrived yesterday. It's safe to say I'm in love.
This morning as I was transferring all my worldly possessions into it I was reminded of an article I'd read in The Telegraph about an exhibition just opened at The Serpentine Art Gallery in London. Artist Hans-Peter Feldman has offered a group of women £400 to spill the contents of their handbags for all to see.
A woman's bag, I think we can all agree, is a veritable jungle of what may appear as junk to the rest of the world but is in fact a collection of items one wouldn't be able to get through the day without. That...and a taboo thing to look through.
With this in mind I decided to empty my new Evelina and share my content with you all...
- Gloves and umbrella - well, I do live in Manchester, remember.
- Mulberry tote bag - easy for rolling up and getting out when picking up bits and bats on the way home.
- Make up - I have this odd fear of someone throwing water in my face and stripping me of my war paint at some point in the day so always have a small kit with me.
- Fashion mags - high end and high street (a lot of my labels get press in Look so it's a weekly must)
- Molecule 01 perfume from Liberty
- Manchester voucher book - who said there's no such thing as a free meal?
- Purse and contents - small coins, drivers licence, bank card, discount card, gig ticket, dry cleaning ticket, cobbler ticket.
- iPod - currently on my millionth listen of The Black Key's El Camino
- Small silver charms - these are, in a way, my most important possession. A gift from a friend, each one means something different and represent my overall well being.
That's pretty much it...but like I said - the bag's a day old. By next week I could have a world map, hammock and some fruit in there for all I know.
What's in yours?