Monday

A Revolution Revelation

There's bitch. There's bad-ass bitch. Then there's Kelly Cutrone.

Founder of People's Revolution and an absolute legend in her own life time. If you don't know about this woman, put it this way: you should.



I first came across the undeniable force that is Cutrone whilst watching The Hills when Lauren Conrad went to intern in her Los Angeles offices. I immediately fell in love with her style, personality, no-bullshit attitude but above all her business. Fashion PR.

You can imagine my sheer delight when The City filmed Whitney Port working in the New York offices and we, the viewer, were given even more insight into the company and Kelly's work ethic.

Most people hear that I work in fashion (I'm an agent for a few labels in the UK) and think it's a world of freebies, pretty colours, vacuous phone calls and we're in the bar by 8pm every night (I wish). I hate those people. What goes on is far more intense and I love that People's Revolution have embraced this and use it to full effect with all their clients.

A little while ago I was made aware that Cutrone had written a book entitled If You Have to Cry, Go Outside: And Other Things Your Mother Never Told You. I had to have it. A whirlwind of clicks on Amazon and I was the proud owner. (get yours here)


My copy no longer looks this way - it has been in hundreds of handbags, been leant to people, been retrieved from people, taken on holiday, kept under my pillow...you get the idea. It is looking loved. And as well it should - it is like a bible, of not only how to get on and behave in what has the veneer of glamour but is actually a vicious industry, but also how to get on and behave in life.
Cutrone cannot be accused of not having a grip - she has a tight hold on her life and is someone I most certainly would trust with mine. It is an aspiration I have, to work for her.

When the People's Revolution twitter feed posts pictures at weekends of their employees working ahead of fashion weeks or big events I don't think, "Poor sods, working weekends." I think, "Lucky people, in an amazing company, honing their skills under a huge influence like Cutrone."

If you haven't read her book I will happily lend you mine (but will be making daily calls until I get it back) as I have a new read - her second book. Normal Gets You Nowhere. The title already speaks to me.


(get yours here)

If you read nothing else this year please make her two books a priority. She writes for, in her own words, the young female and the gay man. And I'm at least one of them.

I'll leave you with this. An accurate representation of what's in store once you open the cover. And if that doesn't get you I don't know what will..

2 comments:

  1. I was an avid watcher of the Hills and The City for the many years it was on and even made a special trip when I visited LA to go past the People's Revolution offices! Kelly Cutrone was a cut-throat, strong headed woman and I LOVED her.
    Will certainly be purchasing this book on Amazon, thank you for the review.

    Love your blog, am now a follower

    thefashionlaunderette.blogspot.com

    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you enjoyed the review and are purchasing as a result. It's just such a great book and she's an incredible woman - certainly someone I'm happily modelling myself on. Hope you enjoy as much as I did!
      Am now following your blog too x

      Delete

What do you think..?